Friday, April 13, 2012

Where to buy a laptop?

Hi Folks





Technology is much cheaper in the US than here at home so I think I%26#39;ll grab a cheap laptop when I visit in June (I%26#39;m looking at the new tiny Asus eec). Computers are not something I%26#39;ve looked for when shopping in NYC previously (usually shoes, shoes, clothes, shoes and gifts - and perhaps more shoes).





Could anybody please recommend some appropriate stores in the city?





Thanks





KG



Where to buy a laptop?


B%26amp;H Photo Video - J%26amp;R Computer World - do not buy from those glitzy %26#39;going out of business%26#39; rip-off joints in Times Square!





Both of these mentioned outlets have some savvy sales people and very good pricing.





Poppa



Where to buy a laptop?


Here%26#39;s the thread from the FAQ about buying electronics:



tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k656594-鈥?/a>



I%26#39;d probably go to J%26amp;R, on Park Row across from City Hall. If you see the light and decide to buy a Mac :), there are 3 Apple stores in the city, as well as Tekserve on 23rd b/t 6th and 7th.




LivesinNewJersey posted so good info in this recent thread on laptops.





tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1736934鈥?/a>




Thanks folks





Great advice. I can%26#39;t wait to shop now!





KG




kangagirl, think about whether you want to pay extra for a warranty that%26#39;s good at home. It may make the savings less appealing, I don%26#39;t know. You%26#39;ll also need whatever adaptors for charging etc. Just a heads up. ;)




the power cord that comes with the computer will probably have a range of currents that it will accept, but she will need an adaptor (or converter - dont yell at me about semantics person who did it earlier this week!) for the plug so it will fit an Australian outlet.





the warranty is a key issue. If you buy a computer through B%26amp;H their extended warranty is through Mack Camera (which you can investigate online in advance to see if they will cover you overseas)




Here%26#39;s a recent thread about a warranty problem for international customers:



tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1783558鈥?/a>




Thanks for the warnings folk,





Funnily enough I recently cautioned a friend against buying a mobile phone in the US due to the warranty issues so I should have thought about that myself with the laptop.





I was so excited with my cleverness at not having to transport it to the US with me (for a working holiday) that I simply didn%26#39;t think about these other implications.





Thanks for bringing me back down to earth. Probably better to do my shopping here before I leave when I have time to search for sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment