Friday, April 27, 2012

New Yorkers - Please help

Hello,





I would really appreciate your help. My husband and myself are flying to New York (Newark) arriving on a Saturdayin November,and staying at the Time Hotel. I would really be grateful for any help you could provide on the following:





How much can we expect to pay for a taxi from the airport to the hotel?





Does anyone know if there is an evening mass at St Patrick%26#39;s cathedral (on Saturday) and if so what time?





Any recommendations for a good restaurant (my husband want to try a great NY steak)close to our hotel?





Sadly only one night in NY - next day we need to be at Cape Liberty to board our ship - please could you tell me how long this journey will take (approx) how much we can expect to pay and also do you recommend any particular taxi companies?





Finally......I believe the rate for tips is 15% or 20% for really good service - if this is incorrect please let me know, I would hat to insult anyone as a result of my lack of knowledge.





Also any advice at all would be most welcome.





Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.







Anne



New Yorkers - Please help


Here is the Mass schedule for St Patrick%26#39;s:



saintpatrickscathedral.org/service_schedule.鈥?/a>



As you can see, there is a 5.30pm service.





There is lots of good steak in New York. Check out the menus online for BLT Steak, Wolfgang%26#39;s and Morton%26#39;s.





Tips of 15-20% are average/ expected tips - good sevice is more like 25% upwards.





If you want to book a car service, have a look at Dial 7, but I would recommend just hopping in a yellow cab on the street. There are thousands and you won%26#39;t have any trouble getting one unless it%26#39;s raining and it%26#39;s post-theater! :)



New Yorkers - Please help


Yours are common questions.





Have a read through the FAQ ';sticky'; at the top of this forum. Answers most of your questions.





Also, you can enter phrases like ';best steak'; in the search box and see previous discussions.




Also, be patient - you posted identical posts 8 minutes apart.....just wait, you%26#39;ll get plenty of advice.




If Cape Liberty is the port in Bayonne, it shouldnt take you more than a 1/2 hour to get there on a Sunday morning, but I would leave an hour to be safe. Especially later in the day when all the Jerseyites who were in the city for the day drive out.





You%26#39;re probably better off arranging a car service than hopping in a yellow cab - if they will even take you to NJ, they will charge a lot more than a car service.




Del Frisco%26#39;s steak house is right by your hotel. It is very good. Other Great steak houses are Strip House and Ben %26amp; Jack%26#39;s (very similar to Peter Luger%26#39;s. 15% is good for tips. I usually just double the tax.




From Newark airport, I would order a car service (cabs in NJ are not yellow, btw). You can see the prices on the website



dial7.com



There will be an additional toll of about $8 from Newark I think. Tip the driver 15-20% on the fare (not including toll).





You should also book a car service to the port since it%26#39;s in NJ, a yellow taxi that you hail could charge double the meter, not a good idea. I think Dial7 would also do that trip. The length of the drive depends on the time of day. I hope it%26#39;s not during rush hour. I think there may be a way to get to Cape Liberty by ferry from Manhatan but I%26#39;m not sure. You might want to post that question on cruisecritic.com





I agree Del Frisco is a good place for steak near the Time hotel.




Many thanks for your replies. i will book a car with the company you have suggested. I%26#39;m sure that I%26#39;ll have lots more questions over the coming weeks and hope that you will once again provide me with help and advice.





Poppa - sorry about the identical posts, it was not done out of impatience as you thought, I just wasn%26#39;t sure whether or not I had sent the first one.





I really cannot wait for our trip to New York!




15% is actually considered chintzy- usually 20



5 is the minimum average tip.





We have car services, but not taxi companies per se.





I would take one of the many van services from the airport. You can ask about them when you get in, at the information desk.




Hi





Does %26#39;chintzy%26#39; mean cheap? Sorry but it%26#39;s not an expression I%26#39;ve heard before.





I really don%26#39;t want to insult anyone on my trip so any tips, do%26#39;s/don%26#39;t do%26#39;s would be much appreciated.





Many thanks.




For steak:





Agree about Strip House, it%26#39;s amazing.





Also, Old Homestead is incredible.





Walking distance from your hotel (well, in ';New Yorker'; terms of walking distance) is Quality Meats, which is incredible. It%26#39;s on 58th street.

No comments:

Post a Comment