Thursday, April 26, 2012

Part 3 - Trip Report - 6 Days, 5 nights and 1 Proposal!!

Part 3 of my Trip Report鈥t鈥檚 nearly over!





Link to Part 1



tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k18027鈥?/a>





Link to Part 2



tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k18034鈥?/a>







MONDAY



Our second last day so we thought we鈥檇 take in another unique New York experience...skating in Central Park. It鈥檚 been a huge dream of mine to do this but unfortunately I didn鈥檛 get round to it on my two previous visit...not so today! The weather was beautiful and actually fairly warm considering it had been minus 3 on the day we arrived 鈥?I鈥檓 definitely beginning to think that there鈥檚 something in this global-warming malarkey!





No queues when we arrived at the Rink, I think it was $39 for the two of us which including skate hire and locker rental (you get a refund of $6.95 when you hand back your lock). Anyway, time to get the blue skates on and head out onto the ice...I鈥檓 telling you, I have never laughed so hard for such a long time! I can only describe my fianc茅 as looking like Bambi on ice...his legs were all over the place and very rarely going in a same direction at the same time! Aside from his embarrassment at his lack of skating skills he really enjoyed skating in such a wonderful location and I was absolutely delighted having finally 鈥榣ived the dream鈥?





Following our skating we took a walk further into Central Park, we wandered up the Mall taking photos of Robert Burns and Sir Walter Scott (us Scots are quite patriotic) and onto the Bethesda Fountain. I鈥檓 assuming due to the winter temperatures the fountain wasn鈥檛 running however, having watched this week鈥檚 episode of CSI:NY which started with a wedding scene at the fountain I know how beautiful it looks in the height of summer.





By now we were feeling a little bit weary what with the skating and all of the walking we鈥檇 done generally over the course of our visit. So, where better to rest up than in a bar?! We discovered Mickey Mantle鈥檚 on 59th opposite the south end of the park which, I thought was a slightly %26#39;odd%26#39; location for this type of bar as it鈥檚 primarily a 鈥榮ports bar鈥?with lots of baseball memorabilia. However, it鈥檚 a lovely bar and the staff were great, very friendly and so polite. We actually had a bite to eat here too and the food was very tasty with really massive portions! Anyway, we ended up spending about 2 or so hours here...just to rest the legs you understand 鈥?lol! Having drunk a few gin and tonics I decided that I was just about tipsy enough to face my nemesis...Abercrombie and Fitch! (see Part 2)





Wandered or should that be 鈥榳obbled鈥?down to A%26amp;F and was delighted to find that the whole experience of shopping here is far more enjoyable when a) it鈥檚 not Saturday and b) your senses have been dulled by copious amounts of gin! 20 minutes and a quite a few purchases later I was back out on 5th Avenue none the worse for my ordeal!





Onto Monday evening now...we had bought tickets for Phantom via Broadwaybox.com 鈥?Row H, front orchestra for $60 each which I thought was a bargain! We decided to go for a pre-theater dinner and wandered up on 鈥楻estaurant Row鈥?where we chose an Italian restaurant called Becco (mentioned in Frommers Guide). It鈥檚 a really deceiving restaurant in terms of size as it鈥檚 got a tiny frontage but then stretches way, way back. The service we received here was fabulous with a genuine Italian waiter (always good) and the food was brilliant. We chose their prix-fixe pre-theater which consisted of an appetizers and unlimited amounts of their 3 freshly cooked daily pastas. I can鈥檛 remember the exact price but I鈥檓 sure we both ate and had a couple of drinks for less than $40 鈥?can鈥檛 beat it!





Phantom was absolutely wonderful. I鈥檝e seen the show twice already but never fail to get shivers up my spine when I hear the first few bars of the opening tune. It was a great show and I thought the scenery etc was just amazing...mind you, they鈥檝e had 20 years to perfect it as this how long the show has been running the Majestic Theater.





The show finished and we walked back into the madness that is Times Square where we took some photographs of the billboards etc. I have to say that as a tourist even I found myself getting annoyed at all the other tourists there! TS is just not my thing and, although our hotel was great, I wouldn鈥檛 necessarily want to stay in this area again.





TUESDAY



Our last day...boo hoo! However, as we weren鈥檛 flying back home until that evening we decided we鈥檇 take advantage of the time we had left. Checked out of the hotel (left our bags with them) and jumped onto the Subway down to Battery Park and onto the Staten Island Ferry Terminal.





Both my fianc茅 and I sat on one of the outside decks so we could get the best views of the Manhattan waterfront and, of course, Liberty Island. Having visited the island on one of my previous visits I do think that the SIF gives you the best views of the statue and it鈥檚 free!





Over to the Staten Island side, a quick hop off and then back on to head back towards Manhattan. We then walked back up passing the bronze bull (another photo op) and then decided to visit St. Pauls as it hadn鈥檛 been open when we were down in this area on Friday. It鈥檚 a very moving place and I would recommend a visit to anyone.





Time was slowly running out for us so we got the subway back up to TS and then went for some lunch at O鈥橪unneys Irish Bar opposite the Night Hotel on W46th. Before we knew it our car had arrived and we were on our way back to Newark Airport to catch our flight home.





FINAL THOUGHTS



New York already had a special place in my heart but now even more so since our Engagement 鈥?we couldn鈥檛 have chosen a more perfect place!





It鈥檚 just so wonderful 鈥?diverse, chaotic, over-whelming on occasions and completely unique.





We can鈥檛 wait to return...already planning our honeymoon trip!



Part 3 - Trip Report - 6 Days, 5 nights and 1 Proposal!!


You%26#39;ve got it sussed--I%26#39;ll follow your lead next time I%26#39;m in need of T Shirts for my daughter and have a few before I go into A%26amp;F, anything to make it more bearable;-)



I%26#39;ve loved reading about your trip, obviously made all the more special by your engagement. What fabulous memories you%26#39;ve got.



Part 3 - Trip Report - 6 Days, 5 nights and 1 Proposal!!


I%26#39;m sorry to see your reports coming to an end. Let us know if you feel like sharing a photo link.





Kazza, I%26#39;ve never been to A%26amp;F. I%26#39;m waiting for your next visit so we can first visit your favorite barman and then stroll up to shop in the dark. Do they let you feel your way through the store?




LOL B. It%26#39;d certainly make the visit worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment