Monday, April 16, 2012

Trip report from a solo woman traveler...

This was my 14th trip to NY, I went alone this time, and I still find interesting and new things to do in the city!

I got in at Laguardia last Thursday (march 6th), bought my metrocard and took the M60. Since it was early in the day and I did not know if my hotel room would be ready, I had the time to take the bus. It took an hour to get to the 6 Columbus hotel right near the Time Warner center. I took the M60 and the M10 with no problems.

They gave me my room right away at 9:30 in the morning. I booked the queen room, which was excellent for a solo traveler, and it was impeccable. The staff is so nice there, almost all the doormen remembered me and welcomed me back.

I took a walking tour booked on foodsofny.com. I did the Greenwich village/Soho one and I loved it! I recommand it to everyone who has seen a lot of the city and wants to see it another way. You see an area you know well through its restaurants and stores. It was 40$ well spent. It was over 3 hours long and we had so much food that we were full at the end of the tour. We were 4 women with the tour guide, who was a young man of 25, and we had fun. We were all interested in restaurants, their chefs, food and the history of the stores. NYwhiz recommended it to me and I am glad I followed her advice. I will do their other ones on other trips.

I visited the Jewish museum at 92nd street and 5th avenue and loved the exhibit of Ben Stein%26#39;s cartoons that appeared in the New Yorker. If you are a fan of the magazine as I am, you will like this small exhibit.

I tried a couple of restaurants:

I went to Bar Boulud and their steak tartare is really incredible. Their wines by the glass are well chosen. I had 2 and they were excellent.

I tried the fried chicken at Blue ribbon bar and grill in my hotel which is supposed to be the best in town. It is very good and if you feel like junk food, you feel less guilty about eating it! Their sushi is also good.

I went back to l%26#39;Artisanal and had their cheese fondue which is excellent.

I felt like old style Italian, sorry but I have a soft heart for those kind of restaurants, so I went to Monte%26#39;s on McDougal. It responded to my needs. It isn%26#39;t the gourmet cuisine that is served at other restaurants, but you get honest food. The baked clams were the best. The owner even kissed me on the cheek and called me bella...you got to love them!

I hope this gives some ideas to others like me who are addicted to this forum in search of great ideas to do in New York!!

Trip report from a solo woman traveler...

I will be making my first trip to New York in exactly two weeks, I will be travelling solo and have booked the Greenwich Village/Soho foodsofny tour, it sounds from your description that I am going to really enjoy it.

Thanks for restaurant recommendations must try the fried chicken at the Blue ribbon bar, I don%26#39;t normally eat fried chicken but I%26#39;m hoping to do a lot of walking so I should get rid of any excess weight (well that%26#39;s what I%26#39;m telling myself).

Trip report from a solo woman traveler...

You gave some great tips. Also, it shows that if you have been to NYC 14 time or 140 times there are still many more things to do.


Glad you had a great time.

I live in Queens but I am staying at 6 Columbus Sunday and Monday night. I decided to bid on a 3-star in the area just below Central Park. I put in a ridiculously low bid of $105 for each of 2 nights, and not only was it accepted but they upgraded me to what they consider is a 4 star. Now I am SURE I will end up with one of the POD rooms, but I am going to try and upgrade when I get there, if possible.

This hotel gets excellent reviews.......


Cricri7 thank you very much for the trip report!! I like reading your reports and thank you for giving us the info we needed to book 6 Columbus. We will be checking in Thursday next week!! I to am taking NYWhiz%26#39;s advice and we booked a foodsofny.com tour of Chelsea Market/Meatpacking District.

Can%26#39;t wait and thanks again!!!


Just wanted to thankyou for your post.I travelled solo to NYC on one occasion and had a good time but your post has provided me with a few more ideas to consider for future itenaries. Take Care Msj


Great report--sounds like you had a fun time.

Just out of curiosity, did you eat anything else at Bar Boulud? I keep hearing that the charcuterie is astonishing but everything else is sort of blah. True or no?


I only ate the steak tartare and the french fries. The charcuterie looked good but I did not have any. You could go on chowhound.com to ask people what to have there.


Crans--I ate at Bar Bouloud in Feb when I was in NYC. We were 3 and only 1 had the charcuterie. I had coco vin, which was spectacular. And I did read the New York mag review which said this was ordinary. None of us thought so. And I was with real foodies...Plus, the place is beautiful. Try it!


I have read the same thing that says that the place is ordinary and I don%26#39;t really understand. The space is great looking, the downstairs is worth taking a trip to the restroom, and the food is excellent. I am a fussy eater and I loved my tartare. A steak tartare is something that can easily be uneatable, but it was exquisite. The wines by the glass are also excellent and not too high priced. The weak link is the service. My waitress was very nice but she did not even know what is a Sauternes wine. Not everyone knows what it is but when you work in a wine bar, the waiters should be more trained than they are now. I ate at L%26#39;Artisanal also and the waiters know the wines and can talk to you about them. Daniel Boulud should train his waiters a bit more.

  • htc touch case
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment