Friday, April 13, 2012

Phone in NYC

Hi everyone,





I will be staying in nyc for two weeks in april. I usually bring my cell phone with me in all my trips and my carrier supports international roaming.





The thing is, the prieces for roaming in nyc are about $1.25/minute.





I was thinking it would be cheaper to get a line there and just use it during my stay but i dont know if thats possible.





Maybe someone here can give me some advice on where to get a prepaid SIM card or something like that.





Thanx in advance.





PS: My phone is GSM.



Phone in NYC


I know that t-mobile used to offer this for $9.99 as recently as last week, but I just checked their web site and I don%26#39;t see it anymore under their prepaid kits, so I%26#39;m not sure. They have stores all over the city, too. You%26#39;ll need to make sure your phone is unlocked, btw.





You can purchase a prepaid phone for as little as $20 at most drug stores %26amp; convenience stores, but you%26#39;ll then have to buy minutes (10-30 cents a minute, in my experience)



Phone in NYC


Thnks, I guess i%26#39;ll check a t-mobile store when i get there.




This just showed up again on t-mobile%26#39;s web site, but they don%26#39;t guarantee that it will work on a non tmobile phone





www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/Detail.aspx鈥?/a>




In order to use a SIM card from a carrier other than your own, your phone has to be unlocked. Do you know if it is? If it is, you can buy a SIM card from either T Mobile or AT %26amp; T. If it%26#39;s not unlocked, you can try to get it done before you leave or, you could also just buy an inexpensive ';go phone'; when you arrive here.




I will be coming (hopefully) next week in NYC with my blackberry, and I will be in dire need of a blackberry SIM with data capability to act as my temp while in US. Anyone knows where can I rent either a device or a SIM card to use on my unlocked phone.



The advantages obvious , first, the exorbitand - astronomical - roaming charges of 7 EUR per minute for voice and 10 EUR per MB for data.





Any help is appreciated




Letterman23 (and maybe mko as well), if you are going to be calling home (or any country outside of the US), be sure you check the cost of international calling if you use a SIM or a temporary phone from a US carrier. The international calling charges might be almost as bad as the roaming charges from your original carrier.




while my daughter is in London for a few months, we signed up for penny talk.....and we can use it on our cell or home phone......there is a small charge to sign up and then it is 1 or 2 cents a minute for Western Europe (more for other places but not a lot)



Can non Americans arrive and sign up for this? Does anyone know?




Yes, there is no good single solution for both local and international calling from a cell phone. Using a local SIM is great for calls within the US but not for outside the US.





I have no idea about Blackberry%26#39;s but if you do a google search for sim card for blackberry in the us there are forums specifically for blackberrys. Here%26#39;s one thread I found





blackberrytoday.com/articles/2008/2/2008-2-8鈥?/a>




Carol, penny talk from whom?




Found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment