Monday, April 16, 2012

Friday fish fry

Any restaurants in Ithaca have a great fish fry on Friday nights?



Friday fish fry


How very upstate, a Friday night fish fry! I should know, I always will be an upstate gal, even though I no longer reside there. Nothing like a good ole NY Friday night fish fry. Can%26#39;t get them anywhere else.





I had to laugh at your post, cause I%26#39;ve been researching the Finger Lakes area for a while since we are planning a trip there this summer. I%26#39;m trying to find an affordable place to stay around Ithaca. I should just stay with my friend in Auburn, but my husband wants to be near Cornell for his conference.





Anyway, I was actually reading a 1989 National Geographic Traveler (takes me a while to get through my mags) and their story on the ';Realm of the Long Lakes'; begins with a tale of Dough%26#39;s Fish Fry in Skaneateles. I thought, boy did that writer really peg us upstaters. Supposed to be good. Their motto is (or was, if they no longer exist)



3 things some great restaurants do:



accept credit cards



serve good coffee



take reservations



Doug%26#39;s Fish Fry in Skaneateles



Does none of these.





It%26#39;s not Ithaca, but if Doug%26#39;s still exists, must be good if it made it into the National Geographic Traveler.





Enjoy a good ole NY fish fry for me, can%26#39;t get them here in KY



Friday fish fry


Doug%26#39;s does still exist, is still excellent, and still follows the same rules. The closest branch to Ithaca is at Cortland, and the lines are long on Fridays during Lent.





Maxie%26#39;s Supper Club in Ithaca (google for info), always has a good Fish Fry- every day, and any restaurant in town will have a fish fry special on Fridays, expecially during Lent. Nowhere comes to mind as being a %26#39;oooh, we have to go to X to get Fish Fry%26#39; though.




People do rave about Doug%26#39;s Fish fry but we find it to be a greasy mess of a fish fry. We%26#39;ve tried it a few times as it%26#39;s a favorite of the in-laws and it%26#39;s just a huge portion of fishy grease. The fries taste like the fishy grease, the inion rings taste like the fishy grease, even my soda tasted like the fishy grease. But we%26#39;ve always been out numbered in our review of the joint so give it a go.



There just isn%26#39;t a place in Ithaca reknowned for it%26#39;s fish fry. Max%26#39;s American Grill in the Holiday Inn has an ';ALL U CAN EAT'; one on Fridays but I%26#39;ve never tried it. The Ale House on Aurora St. has a beer battered offereing I%26#39;ve noticed on the menu but, again, hav enever tried.




The Glenwood Pines have an excellent Fish Fry. They are located on Route 89. Try their famous ';Pines Burger'; too.

No comments:

Post a Comment