Monday, April 16, 2012

JFK question



I%26#39;ve lived in Brooklyn just under a year, but I don%26#39;t have a car, so big swaths of the borough are unknown to me.





Next week, I will have visitors flying in to JFK around 11PM. I%26#39;ll take the ';A'; out to meet them, but we%26#39;ll probably take a taxi back. Last time I attempted to do this, the driver had NO idea which way to go, and if it wasn%26#39;t for the GPS, we%26#39;d still be driving around the far reaches of Queens and Kings County.





Hoping to avoid this situation again:





If you were driving from JFK to Prospect Park West on a weeknight, what route would you take?





Thanks!



JFK question


I have no idea, but I%26#39;d look for directions on maps.google.com



JFK question


Can you take the Belt Parkway to Conduit to Atlantic? I think that%26#39;s a straight shot, no? And then you just turn down that street off Atlantic (Vanderbilt?) that takes you to Grand Army Plaza.




...but Google Maps is probably smarter than me!




I think that%26#39;s the way Google recommended. ;) I doubt they%26#39;re smarter than you.




I think I would take the Conduit to Atlantic to Eastern Parkway, and then around Grand Army Plaza to Prospect Park West. The trickiest part will be the turn from Atlantic to Eastern Parkway, but if the driver pays attention it is not hard at all.




That%26#39;s what I would have said, too.





I use AAA road maps. You can order them for free if you%26#39;re a member. Also their Triptik online. I don%26#39;t even own a car, and I%26#39;ve been a member for years. Very useful resource.






Thanks everybody.





And I agree with the Whiz - Crans is much smarter than google, even if they agree on these particular directions!





Google and MapQuest are great in a lot of ways, but they don%26#39;t factor in traffic patterns throughout the day, roadwork, etc...you can%26#39;t beat human intelligence for that.





Much obliged!








JAWP - the AAA website shows traffic construction on their Triptiks.




Keep in mind that you should be using a yellow cab only.....those gypsy cabs are very sketchy.





Also you are a great friend to go out and meet them. If the conduit is too difficult, I sometimes take the Belt, at that hour it should be clear..





However it is a tad more costly due to the mileage...

No comments:

Post a Comment